Mens Sana In Corpore Sano – A Healthy Mind in a Healthy Body
While no foods can promise to make you a genius, there are some that help the brain function better in addition to a regular eating pattern and constant fuel supply.
The Thinking Person’s Checklist:
- Omega-3 fats (Oily fish)
- Iron Zinc B12 (Lean Beef)
- Choline (Egg yolks and Soy)
- Folate and Zinc (Wholegrain Breads, Cereals and Legumes)
- Folate and antioxidants (Fruit, Green Leafy Vegetables, Avocados, Bananas)
- Alcoholic drinks
- Artificial food colourings and sweeteners High-sugar soft drinks and Cola
- High processed food – White Bread
Source: Australian Healthy Food Feb 2006
Researchers investigating the effects of foods or nutrients on brain function often find it difficult to tell whether improvements in thinking tasks such as memory, creativity, concentration and learning are in fact caused by test foods, or other factors such as time of day, types of tasks performed, regular diet and how alert you are.
So be a bit more present with your body and notice when you feel at your peak and why you get that 3pm slump.
Source: Buzan’s Bite